The purpose of this program is to ensure the correct operation of fixed, non-water based, fire protection systems by the adoption and enforcement of nationally recognized safety codes and by the certification, education and training of people working on these systems. A Certification of Fitness (TQP) is required for all individuals who design, install, inspect, service or recharge these fire protection systems.
NICET (National Institute for Certificate in Engineering Technologies) or NAFED (National Association of Fire Equipment Distributors) current certification is required for the initial or renewal of Vermont certificate of fitness certifications (TQP) for people who design, install, inspect, service or recharge any fixed fire extinguishing system.
Statutes, Rules and Adopted Codes
- NFPA12 Standard on Carbon Dioxide Extinguishing Systems - Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- NFPA 12 A Standard on Halon 1301 Fire Extinguishing Systems - Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- NFPA 17 Standard for Dry Chemical Extinguishing Systems - Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- NFPA 17 A Standard for Wet Chemical Extinguishing Systems - Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- NFPA 2001 Standard for Clean Agent Fire Extinguishing Systems - Current Vermont Adopted Edition
Please Note: The Vermont Division of Fire Safety does not sell code books. Please contact National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to purchase the codes and standards.
Chemical Suppression Certificate of Fitness (TQP) Application
List of all Certified Chemical Suppression TQP's
Approved Providers for Chemical Suppression Continuing Education
Most, but not all, Factory Training Certificates such as the ones listed below, are approved as long as the expiration date and the hours of training are listed on the certificate. Factory Training Certificates are reviewed for acceptance by the Division of Fire Safety.
- RANGE GUARD
- PEM ALL
- PYRO CHEM
- FIRE PROTECTION CERTIFICATION (FPC LTD)
- FIRE SUPPRESSION SYSTEMS ASSOC (FSSA)
Division of Fire Safety; Debra Moulton
100 Mineral St, Suite 307
Springfield, VT 05156