The State Electrical Safety program is achieved through the adoption of nationally recognized safety codes, licensing, education, training of people doing electrical installation work and code enforcement, which reduces the risk of fire and electrocutions.
The rules referenced below are adopted by the Commissioner of Public Safety and the Electricians’ Licensing Board pursuant to 26 U.S.A.. Chapter 15, to license people doing electrical work and to adopt and enforce nationally recognized safety codes.
Statutes, Rules and Adopted Codes
- Vermont Electrical Statute - 26 V.S.A., Chapter 15
- Vermont Electrical Safety Rules - Current (Effective Date October 1, 2017)
- Vermont Electrical Safety Rules - Previous edition
- NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- NFPA 73 - Residential Electrical Safety Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- NFPA 780 - Lightning Protection Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- ANSI - C2 National Electrical Safety Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
Please Note: The Vermont Division of Fire Safety does not sell code books. Please contact National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to purchase the codes and standards.
Electrical License Forms
- Electrical Application and Instructions - All Classifications
- Address correction and License Replacement Request Form
- Certified Letter Request Form
Vermont Energy Goals
In the 2020 Legislative session, (S.220) was signed into law requiring many trade professionals to complete a Vermont Energy Goals Education Module. The educational module and completion certificate may be accessed by clicking on the link below .
If you are applying for a new license or certification or renewing an existing license or certification, after July 1, 2021, you are required to complete the educational module. Please make sure you provide a copy of the completion certificate with your application.
Vermont Energy Goals - Educational Module Memo pdf
Vermont Energy Goals - Education Module PowerPoint and Completion Certificate
Division of Fire Safety; Licensing
45 State Drive
Waterbury, VT 05671