The State Electrical Safety program is achieved through the adoption of nationally recognized safety codes, licensing, education, training of people doing electrical installation work and code enforcement, which reduces the risk of fire and electrocutions.
The rules referenced below are adopted by the Commissioner of Public Safety and the Electricians’ Licensing Board pursuant to 26 U.S.A.. Chapter 15, to license people doing electrical work and to adopt and enforce nationally recognized safety codes.
Statutes, Rules and Adopted Codes
- Vermont Electrical Safety Rules 2017 (Annotated Draft - PROPOSED)
- Vermont Electrical Statute - 26 V.S.A., Chapter 15
- Vermont Electrical Safety Rules - Current
- Vermont Electrical Safety Rules - Previous edition
- NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- NFPA 73 - Residential Electrical Safety Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- NFPA 780 - Lightning Protection Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- ANSI - C2 National Electrical Safety Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
Please Note: The Vermont Division of Fire Safety does not sell code books. Please contact National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) to purchase the codes and standards.
Electrical License Forms
- Electrical Application and Instructions - All Classifications
- Address correction and License Replacement Request Form
- Certified Letter Request Form
Division of Fire Safety; Licensing
1311 US Route 302 - Suite 600
Barre, VT 05641