Fire Instructor I Challenge Exam - Pittsford
Individuals who have not completed an approved Vermont Fire Academy sanctioned Fire Instructor I Program, but who feel they have obtained the necessary training by some other means; or whose previous certifications are more than 2 editions in arrears of the current NFPA 1041, Standard for Fire Service Instructor Professional Qualifications, may challenge the Fire Instructor I Certification Exam. To be eligible to take the Fire Instructor I Challenge Exam, the candidate must meet the following requirements:
- be at least 18 years of age at the test date
- affiliated with a Vermont Emergency Service Organization
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Five years of experience in fire or emergency services.
- Current/Approved Firefighter I or equivalent EMS certification (EMT, Advanced EMT, or Paramedic) with three years of service of that level.
- Endorsement by the candidate's current department chief in the form of a signed letter stating the applicant's qualifications and experience are equal to those outlined in NFPA 1041, Standard for Fire Service Instructor Professional Qualifications.
The written exam consists of 50 multiple choice questions based on the knowledge requirements outlined in the current edition of NFPA 1041. Candidates must achieve a minimum passing score of 70. Candidates are permitted two attempts at passing the written exam. A second attempt may take place after 14 days but within 60 days of the first attempt and will be conducted at the Vermont Fire Academy in Pittsford.
The practical skills exam consists of 2 practical skill stations based on the requisite skills outlined in the current edition of NFPA 1041. The stations will consist of delivering a cognitive presentation and delivering a psychomotor presentation. The topics and prepared lesson materials for the practical skill exam presentations will be assigned and provided to the candidate 14 days prior to the exam date. Candidates will be provided with a standard LCD projector, PC equipped with the current version of PowerPoint, paper easel, and markers. Candidates are responsible for providing any additional equipment that may be necessary for their presentations. Candidates are permitted one retest opportunity for stations that are failed plus an additional randomly selected skill station. The retest opportunity must take place after 14 days but before 60 days of the first attempt and will be conducted at the Vermont Fire Academy in Pittsford.
Location: Vermont Fire Academy in Pittsford
When: Tuesday, June 11, 2019
Time: 0830 until finished
Application deadline: Tuesday, May 28, 2019