The State Electrical Safety program is achieved through the adoption of nationally recognized safety codes, licensing, education, training of people doing electrical installation work and code enforcement, which reduces the risk of fire and electrocutions.
The rules referenced below are adopted by the Commissioner of Public Safety and the Electricians’ Licensing Board pursuant to 26 V.S.A. Chapter 15, to license people doing electrical work and to adopt and enforce nationally recognized safety codes.
Statutes, Rules and Adopted Codes
- Vermont Electrical Statute - 26 V.S.A., Chapter 15
Vermont Electrical Safety Rules
Currently Adopted Codes
- NFPA 70 - National Electrical Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition, as amended
- NFPA 73 - Residential Electrical Safety Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- NFPA 780 - Lightening Protection Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
- ANSI - C2 National Electrical Safety Code, Current Vermont Adopted Edition
NOTE: The Division of Fire Safety does not sell code books. Please contact NFPA to purchase the codes and standards.
Electrical License Application
- Electrical Application and Instructions - All Classifications
- Replacement Electrical License Request Form
- Address Correction Form
- Approved Electrical Continuing Education Seminars - Updated May 2015