The purpose of these rules is to assure that elevators and other automated conveyances are correctly and safely installed and operated within the state. This is done by authorizing and enforcing rules for the design, installation, operation and maintenance of conveyances, and by licensing mechanics and inspectors who work on these conveyances. Person (s) who erect, construct, wire, alter, replace, or maintain conveyances located in any public building must be licensed as an elevator or lift mechanic. These rules are adopted by the Elevator Safety Review Board pursuant to 21 VSA Chapter 3, Subchapter 2A.
Statutes, Rules and Adopted Codes
- Labor Safety - 21 VSA Chapter 3, Subchapter 2A
- 2014 Vermont Elevator Safety Rules - Current
- 2008 Vermont Elevator Safety Rules - Previous edition
- The National Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators - ASME A.17.1, 2013 Edition
- The National Safety Code for Existing Elevators and Escalators - ASME A 17.3, 2011 Edition
- The National Safety Standard for Platform Lifts and Stairway Chairlifts - ASME A 18.1, 2011 Edition
Please Note: The Vermont Division of Fire Safety does not sell code books. Please contact American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) to purchase the codes and standards.
Division of Fire Safety; Licensing
1311 US Route 302 - Suite 600
Barre, VT 05641