Codes and Standards
Vermont Adopted Codes and Standards
Since 1972 the State of Vermont has adopted nationally recognized safety standards to protect the public from fire and explosion hazards. Vermont is able to benefit from the research and fire safety experience from experts across the nation in every area of expertise by using nationally recognized safety standards. The Division of Fire Safety amends the national standards only when necessary to address conditions specific to Vermont.
2012 Vermont Fire and Building Safety Code 2012 edition
Vermont Electrical Safety Rules 2014 edition
2012 Vermont Plumbing Rules 2013 edition
Vermont Elevator Safety Rules 2014 edition
Vermont Access Rules (ADA) 2012 edition
State Adopted Codes
- NFPA 1 Fire Code 2012 edition
- NFPA 101 Life Safety Code 2012 edition
- The International Building Code, IBC, 2012 edition
- NFPA 70 National Electrical Code 2014 edition
- ICC International Plumbing Code 2012 edition
- The National Board Inspection Code, National Board of Boiler & Pressure Vessel Inspectors, 2004
Previous Code Editions
Information for Architects, Designers, and Professional Engineers
NFPA just released a white paper about the 2015 edition of NFPA 101® Life Safety Code® and it is based on the top 20 questions our engineers are asked through our technical questions service. We compiled the questions and their answers as a resource for NFPA. Download NFPA 101 FAQs.
How to Get a Copy of the Code Books
The Vermont Division of Fire Safety does not sell code books.
The codes may be viewed at any our regional offices or if you wish to purchase code books please contact:
Visit the web site of the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA) for read-only access to the NFPA codes and standards referenced in our state's statutes and/or regulations.
As part of its commitment to enhancing public safety through the adoption and enforcement of key ANSI codes and standards, NFPA offers free viewing all of their codes and standards online. Visit http://www.nfpa.org/aboutthecodes/list_of_codes_and_standards.asp
To review NFPA's codes and standards online:
- Visit NFPA's Document Information
- Select the document you want to review.
- On the Document Information tab, scroll down to the heading "View the document online (read only)" and click on the link "view xxxx edition online". Note: you will be asked to "sign-in" on NFPA's Web site in order to view the document online. Please make sure you are viewing the edition that is adopted in Vermont